Murray County MuseumMurray County Museum
Home Page | Planned Exhibits | Research Support | Want to Help? | Why a Museum in Cyberspace? | Updates
Carter's QuarterBarbed WireCherokee Removal FTCivil WarCoulter Dolls
County OfficialsDeath CertificatesEarly ChenilleEarly DoctorsEarly Newspapers
Fort MountainFree Negroes 1870GatewaysHistorical County LinesHistorical Markers
History of MurrayKorean WarLandmarks LostListsMemoirs of a Slave
Methodist ChurchMurray ArtistsMurray CemeteriesMurray CharactersMurray Census 1834
Murray FamiliesMurray Heritage BookMurray High SchoolMurray History 1911Murray Memories
Murray Post OfficesMurray QuiltsMurray SchoolsOld News StoriesPhotographs
Planned DisplaysPoemsPrized PossessionsRoad to Dalton 1950Rolling Stores
Roseville PotterySchool ValentinesStained GlassTime CapsulesVann House
Vann SlavesVeterans MemorialVietnam WarVintage ADsWar Dead
Wood VasesWorld War IWorld War IIWright Hotel 
 Murray County Museum  
LANDMARKS LOST

Many landmarks, once important in Murray's daily life, have disappeared forever.

In this Murray County Museum, we hope to collect pictures of landmarks that no longer exist so we, and future generations, can maintain contact with our heritage.

The following photographs depict such landmarks that have been lost. (This is just a start and we expect this collection to grow over time.) Eventually we also expect to have more detailed historical facts about many of the buildings included here.

Anyone willing to share photographs of Murray County landmarks that have been lost, please email murraymuseum@aol.com indicating what you have. We especially need pictures of old businesses, cotton gins, grist mills, churches, schools, and early homes.

Click on any landmark below to see a picture. To return to the list of landmarks lost, click the back-page button.

Tap Specific Image To Enlarge!
Tap To Enlarge

Bradford Home, Dr. J. E. Bradford's home, on eastern edge of Vann House property. Shown here in 1954. Torn down.

Tap To Enlarge

Brown's Bridge was built in 1890 over the Conasauga River. It ws removed 1979-77.

Tap To Enlarge

Campbell Store. Owned by Andy Campbell in Alaculsey Valley.

Tap To Enlarge

Center Valley Methodist Church (first building). Believed to have been built before 1840. Destroyed by a tornado on April 3, 1880.

Tap To Enlarge

Center Valley Methodist Church (second building). Built in 1880s, used till 1952.

Tap To Enlarge

Chable Bridge in Alaculsey area.

Tap To Enlarge

Chable Grist Mill was on Jack's River in Alaculsey.

Tap To Enlarge

Chatsworth High School was built 1923. Struck by lighting and destroyed by fire in 1934.

Tap To Enlarge

Chatsworth First Baptist Church. Built 1909. Torn down 1950s?

Tap To Enlarge

Chatsworth Pressed Brick Company. Opened 1905. Name changed to Chatsworth Clay Manufacturing Company. Closed about 1929.

Tap To Enlarge

Chatsworth Methodist Church, Officially First United Methodist Church of Chatsworth. Built in 1907(?). Torn Down (?)

Tap To Enlarge

Cisco Train Depot

Tap To Enlarge

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp at Chatsworth. 1939 photo. From left, building in rear is Education Center, in front of that building, the Orderly Room, middle-rear is Park Service Office, the Woodwork shop in front of it, and the Supply Room is up front-right of picture. See next two photograph for remainder of the camp.

Tap To Enlarge

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp at Chatsworth. 1939 photo. At left, the Recreation Hall & Canteen, behind that building is Barracks-1, middle of picture is Barracks-2, and right side of picture is Barracks-3. See preceding and following photos for remainder of the camp.

Tap To Enlarge

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp at Chatsworth. 1939 photo. At left is Barracks-4, at back in the middle of picture is the Mess Hall. The Foremen's Quarters is in front of the picture. The Dispensary is between the Foremen's Quarters and the Mess Hall. See preceding two photos for remainder of the camp.

Tap To Enlarge

Coffey House on old A. B. Gregory Farm in 1992. House burned in late 1990s.

Tap To Enlarge

Cohutta Springs Hotel. Shown here in 1937.

Tap To Enlarge

Cohutta Springs Grist Mill and Dance Hall.

Tap To Enlarge

Colvard High School operated until 1934, when all Murray high school students started to attend the new Murray County High School. This building became an elementary school. It burned in 1940.

Tap To Enlarge

Cool Springs Baptist Church, in use 1911-1951.

Tap To Enlarge

Crandall Depot was built in 1904. The building was dismantled in the 1940s and the lumber was used to build 2 houses.

Tap To Enlarge

Davis Store at Spring Place, Carl Davis owned this store, on southeast corner of intersection of Elm Street and Ellijay Street, operated 1922 to 1953. Was torn down.

Tap To Enlarge

DeSoto Hotel, Chatsworth. Built 1907. Demolished 1950s.

Tap To Enlarge

Eton Baptist Church, built 1906, torn down 1990.

Tap To Enlarge

Eton High School, built in 1909, burned in January, 1937.

Tap To Enlarge

Fort Mountain Institute opened in the early 1870s. By early 1880s it was being called Fort Mountain School. In 1952 this school closed and students began attending classes in Chatsworth. Building was torn down in 1950s.

Tap To Enlarge

Fort Mountain Institute, another view.

Tap To Enlarge

Free Hope Baptist Church, built around 1900, torn down in 1950s.

Tap To Enlarge

Gladden-McHan House at Gladden Springs. Originally home of the Gladden family. A "dog-trot" house with an open hallway through the middle of the structure. Home of the George McHan family in 1930s, 40s, and 50s.

Tap To Enlarge

Green Acres was the summer home of Dr. And Mrs. John W. Greene, who lived in Atlanta.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory Brush Dam Ruins. This was a diversionary dam to channel water along the east side of Pompey's Island to the main dam to increase flow for generating electrical power in Gregory Mill Community. See preceding two photographs.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory Dam on the Conasauga River. Built by B. A. Gregory in the 1890s, it provided electric lighting for his home, his mother's home, the Gregory Store, and later, the cotton gin in Gregory Mill Community. It had generators for charging batteries. Dam was abandoned with TVA was established. This picture dated 1909 is of B. A. Gregory, Mitchell Gregory and Mary Delia McCamy Gregory.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory Main Dam Ruins. After TVA was established in early 1930s, the dam was abandoned. It had provided electricity for lighting B.A. Gregory's home, his mother's home, the Gregory Store and Cotton Gin in the Gregory Mill Community for nearly 40 years. See preceding picture and next picture.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory Mill operated for more than a century near Cohutta Springs. Census records indicate that in 1879 the mill produced 270,000 pounds of corn meal and 66,000 pounds of feed from corn. Mill was torn down in 1937.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory Store, operated by R. M. Gregory. Picture from 1940s.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory home, John Pleasant Gregory's family home place.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory home, James Jathan Gregory's family home in the 1980s. Burned in 1980s.

Tap To Enlarge

Gregory home, Hyden Gregory's family lived in this house near Hassler's Mill in the 1980s. It burned in 1996.

Tap To Enlarge

Harris Home in Sumach. The Sam and Nannie Harris residence. Nannie was named Postmistress in 1898 so the post office was in their home. House was dismantled in early 1980s.

Tap To Enlarge

Hassler's Mill. William Hassler operated a mill east of present-day Eton before the Cherokees were forcibly removed and Murray County was created. The last mill bearing the Hassler name was torn down in 1927.

Tap To Enlarge

Home of W. J. Gregory, ca 1915. Was the old S. E. Gregory home built sy Euclid Waterhouse in late 1870s. Burned in 1963.

Tap To Enlarge

Hopedale Plantation's original house was on the Ellijay-Dalton Road west of Spring Place, near Marble Hill School, and was known as "the garden spot of Murray County." Built by Dr. Samuel Dwight, who died there in 1859. Underneath the main house was a carriage house. After the original structure burned, Captain W. C Tilton, who had married Dr. Dwight's daughter, rebuilt Hopedale in a similar style but on a smaller scale. In later years the Jones family owned the house shown in this photograph, situated across the road from Old Spring Place Cemetery. Photo submitted to museum by John Wilbanks.

Tap To Enlarge

Keith home, Tennga. Built before 1918, Nana Lee Keith Davis lived in this house for 55 years. Demolished in 1975.

Tap To Enlarge

Keith Store, Tennga. Built in 1934 by T. H. Keith for $2,800. After Tom died in 1951, his son, T. H. Keith, Jr., and daughter, Nana Lee Keith Davis, ran the store until it closed in 1985. Demolished in 1988.

Tap To Enlarge

Keith Store, Little Murray. Tom Keith and two of his brothers owned this store, which operated 1898 -1908.

Tap To Enlarge

Lucy Hill Institute at Spring Place. Built 1900, dismantled 1930.

Tap To Enlarge

Mount Zion Methodist Church, in use 1848 to 1963.

Tap To Enlarge

Mountain View Hotel burned in 1913.

Tap To Enlarge

Mountain View, a house that was more commonly called The Green Mansion. Built near present-day Chatsworth in 1893. The house burned in 1982.

Tap To Enlarge

Murray County Courthouse at Spring Place. Built 1886, torn down 1950s.

Tap To Enlarge

Murray County Memorial Hospital, dedicated in February, 1950, was made possible by three large gifts: W. A. Tatum donated the land to build the hospital on; $80,000 came from the estate of J. Frank Hall; and $100,000 from V. C. Pickering. The Lions Club had spearheaded the hospital building project so numerous smaller gifts also were received. G. I. Maddox was chairman of the hospital board. This was Murray's first hospital; it boasted 32-beds. It was expanded to 37 beds. After a new hospital was built and dedicated in 1975, the original hospital building was sold at auction and the building was eventually torn down.

Tap To Enlarge

Murray County Flour Mill at Eton opened around 1908.

Tap To Enlarge

Parker's General Merchandise Store, operated by J. L. Parker in Chatsworth in the 1920s.

Tap To Enlarge

Phillips House near Crandall. 1900-1952.

Tap To Enlarge

Pleasant Valley Academy, built in 2890s. In 1909 students began to attend classes the new Eton High School.

Tap To Enlarge

Print Shop at New Echota, where the Cherokee Phoenix newspaper was published.

Tap To Enlarge

Ramhurst Depot was built 1904-05. The Railroad also built dwellings for the section foreman and a duplex for railroad men. A pump-house on the creek filled the water tank to supply the steam engines. This photo was taken when the depot was about 10 years old. The depot was torn down around 1940.

Tap To Enlarge

Ramhurst Depot floor plan. At that time laws required separate waiting rooms for white and colored passengers.

Tap To Enlarge

Rorex House in 1902. Was probably built by Euclid Waterhouse in the 1870s. People behind the fence are B. A. Gregory and Mary Delia McCamy Gregory. Rorex House burned in 1966.

Tap To Enlarge

Smyrna Baptist Church, Ramhurst, built 1904, torn down 1955.

Tap To Enlarge

Spring Place Gym, built with materials from the Lucy Hill Institute in 1930s. Burned 1960s.

Tap To Enlarge

Spring Place Presbyterian Church. Built 1886, torn down 1930s.

Tap To Enlarge

Spring Place Baptist Church. Built 1895, dismantled in 1955.

Tap To Enlarge

Spring Place Post Office. Spring Place had a post office long before there was a Murray County. This tiny building was the post office 1940s and 50s.

Tap To Enlarge

Sumach Seminary Sumach Seminary Built in1881. Taught primary, secondary and junior college level courses and had dormitories for students from outside the immediate area. Building Burned in 1921.

Tap To Enlarge

Summerour House near Cohutta Springs was probably built in the 1830s. During the War Between the States, Union forces briefly held the house, allegedly riding their horses through the center hall. It was torn down in 1980.

Tap To Enlarge

Tennga Garage, Tennga. Picture is from 1920s. Building was torn down.

Tap To Enlarge

Tennga School was built in 1919. Replaced in 1935.

Tap To Enlarge

Tennga School, another view. This sketch, by Clarence Pritchett.

Tap To Enlarge

Tibbs Bridge was named for William H. Tibbs. The first Tibbs Bridge probably was built in the 1880s. It was replaced by a steel bridge between 1913 and 1928. The steel bridge was replaced by a concrete structure around 1980.

Tap To Enlarge

Tickle Gizzard School was on the Spring Place - Tilton Road. The original one room school, which was probably built in the 1870s, burned in 1889. A new structure was built. After the school was combined with another to create Hooker's Academy, the school building became a residence but eventually was torn down.

Tap To Enlarge

Treadwell Mill operated at the Conasauga River on Highway 76 (the road to Dalton) from 1881 to 1921.



  Murray County Museum 
Copyrighted 2005 - 2017 Murray County Museum - All Rights Reserved