Murray County MuseumMurray County Museum
Home Page | Planned Exhibits | Research Support | Want to Help? | Why a Museum in Cyberspace? | Updates
Carter's QuarterBarbed WireCherokee Removal FTCivil WarCoulter Dolls
County OfficialsDeath CertificatesEarly ChenilleEarly DoctorsEarly Newspapers
Fort MountainFree Negroes 1870GatewaysHistorical County LinesHistorical Markers
History of MurrayKorean WarLandmarks LostListsMemoirs of a Slave
Methodist ChurchMurray ArtistsMurray CemeteriesMurray CharactersMurray Census 1834
Murray FamiliesMurray Heritage BookMurray High SchoolMurray History 1911Murray Memories
Murray Post OfficesMurray QuiltsMurray SchoolsOld News StoriesPhotographs
Planned DisplaysPoemsPrized PossessionsRoad to Dalton 1950Rolling Stores
Roseville PotterySchool ValentinesStained GlassTime CapsulesVann House
Vann SlavesVeterans MemorialVietnam WarVintage ADsWar Dead
Wood VasesWorld War IWorld War IIWright Hotel 
 Murray County Museum  

Jack Langford

Jack Langford was born in 1915. His parents were Wyatt and Bell Langford. The 1930 Census listed the family as Wyatt, age 50; Bell G., age 39; Chassie L., age 19; Jackson A., age 15; Harley, age 14; Willie L., age 12; Homer L. Age 10; John F., age 8, Henry L. Age 5; and Cecil A. Langford, age 3. They lived in the Tenth District, Murray County.

Two of Jack's nieces, Laurette Davis and Janet Lotspeich, provided additional family information. For those listed in the Census above the mother was Bell Green. Willie's middle name was Lake and that is what the family called him. John's middle name was Frank and that's the name he went by. Henry's middle name was Lewis, the name folks called him. They said that the boy listed as Cecil, age 3, on the Census was in later life called R. E. Langford.

The nieces also provided names of two family members born after the 1930 Census: Kenneth Eugene Langford and Rossie Langford.

Six of the brothers served in World War II: Harley; Willie (Lake); Homer; John (Frank); Henry (Lewis); and Jack. Cecil (R.E.) Remained at home to help his dad run the family farm.

John, known as Frank, was captured by the Germans and remained a POW for nearly a year-and-a-half. He returned home after the war.

Most of the family attended Cisco school. They attended church at Calvary Baptist and Blue Ridge Primitive Baptist Church.

Jack's enlistment form indicates that he completed grammar school, then worked as a general farm hand. He was single with no dependents. He was 71 inches tall and weighed 150 pounds. He enlisted as a Private, October 14, 1940, at Fort McPherson, Atlanta. His service number was 14029513. PFC Jack Langford was killed in action, January 4, 1945, in Belgium. when he died. He was buried in grave F-12 21 at Hamm Permanent Cemetery, in the tiny country of Luxembourg. This cemetery is also known as Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial. A cross on Jack's grave is inscribed: Jack Langford, PFC., 9th Inf Bn 6 Armd Div, Georgia Jan 4, 1945.

The Chatsworth Times reported in the issue dated January 25, 1945: "Jack Langford Missing. Pfc. Jack Langford, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wyatt Langford, had been reported missing in action in Belgium since January 4, the War Department has informed the soldier's parents. Private Langford has a brother, John Frank Langford, who is a prisoner of war in Germany, and three other brothers in the service." Later the Army determined that Pfc. Langford had actually been killed in action on January 4th.


Previous PageMurray County Families

  Murray County Museum 
Copyrighted 2005 - 2020 Murray County Museum - All Rights Reserved